Monday, March 11, 2013

Writing/Editing & Editing/Writing

Sun slicing across the morning here. I have been thinking a lot about the differences and similarities between editing and writing.

Common: creative, thoughtful, paying attention to word selection and flow, work  (I am sure there is more...)

Not in common: different parts of my intelligence seem activated when editing or writing. Editing is less fun for me.

And you know, the more I think about it the less different they do seem to be from each other—except for the fun part!

As I have been doing much more editing of late maybe I am seeing this all in fog.

In any event, I am glad I have been rumbling around with these thoughts. I feel less tamed by dragons and more ready to let the words and edits fly in all directions. An egg is an egg is an egg yet each is from a different bird.


3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean by a fog while editing. I'm taking a much needed break right now from that very thing.

    Left an award for you on my blog. Please note the ammended rules :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Catherine! Breaks are so important...on my way to explore your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breaks are important! And editing is never the same as writing, or as fun . . . unless I write new stuff on the side while I'm editing. It's the only way I can keep it going in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete